Dr Hassan Ragab was the former Egyptian Ambassador to the People’s Republic of China and was responsible for re-introducing the science of making papyrus. Born in 1911 in Cairo, he graduated from Cairo University in 1933 with a degree in Engineering. In 1935 he became the Chief Maintenance Engineer at Ramleh Electric Railway in Alexandria before becoming a Captain in the Engineers Corps of the Egyptian army. In the early 1940′s he resumed his studies and graduated in 1943 from the General Staff College of the Egyptian Army with an MSC in Military Sciences. Following this, in 1944, Dr Ragab became Director of the Army Survey Department and later, he served as the Colonel Military Attache at the Egyptian Embassy in Washington. In 1948 he was appointed General Director and Founder of the Department of Research and Development of the Egyptian Armed Forces. In 1952 he was selected to become Under Secretary of State and Chairman of the Armament Factories and the following year he founded Egyptian Youth Hostels. He continued his diplomatic career in 1956, becoming Egypt’s first Ambassador to the People’s Republic of China and soon after he became the Ambassador of Egypt to Yugoslavia. In 1965 he rediscovered the secret of papyrus making and by 1968 he had founded the Papyrus Institute. In 1979, he graduated from the Institute National de Polytechnique de Grenoble with a distinction in Applied Biology. Dr Ragab, wishing to be involved with Egypt politically, founded the Pharanoic Village in 1985 and by 1990 he had become First Chief of the Egyptian Green Party. During the course of his career he was also a published author and recognised with numerous awards and honours including the Gold Mercury International Award.